Sunday, June 7, 2009

Happy Birthday to Natey


Nathan had a rocking birthday party two and a half weeks ago. We only had 13 adults and 16 kids so it was just a little party. As we were rushing around getting ready John tried to make me admit that the party was really for me not Nathan but I wouldn't. Nathan talked about going camping, fishing and having a "burst-day paw-ty" for days before hand. Just look at these pictures and try to tell me this kid wasn't excited.



One of the highlights of the evening were these electronic helicopters this dad brought. He let the kids all take turns flying them and it made Nathan's night. He's been a little obsessed with "heli-cock-ers" and airplanes for almost a year now. He can find the smallest dot of an airplane in the sky and screams "AIRPLANE!!! AIRPLANE!!" till we all acknowledge the streak in the sky.


The fun didn't even stop when they landed in the trees and the big boys (ie dads) had to climb the trees to get them out.



Of course, what party would be complete without a little fireworks? Luckily, it doesn't take much to impress a 3 yr old so the lame snakes satisfied him and his little friends. They were even happy with the hotdogs, chips and soda while we fed their parents potatoes and bratwursts.





I couldn't come up with a theme for the whole party, let alone the cake so we settled on all things boy. I made the cups with bugs and all manner of construction vehicles and I have to say, they were a big hit with the birthday boy.



He had a tough time picking which one he wanted.



But he thought they all were pretty cool. Literally since they had ice cream in them too.



Eventually I made him settle on one because in his excitement he started licking it.




By three, they definitely know how to blow out candles. We had to relight them a time or two to get any pictures.


We even let the goat babies in on the fun. We brought them out and they chased the kids around. I tell you, if you ever want a cheap entertainment source, get a goat baby. Who needs a clown or blow up bouncer when you have these guys around?



Nathan had the honor of naming the little dark brown one - it's Lighting, after Lighting McQueen. I'm not sure why every little boy in the 2-4 age range I know is obsessed with Lighting McQueen, but they all are. Lighting proved to be a little too fast for Nathan last Sunday when Nathan tried to race him and Lighting cut him off. Nathan's head bit the pavement dust but don't worry - a little superglue and he's good as new.

For his birthday Nathan got the movie Cars, a Lighting water bottle, a cool toy that spins disks into the air, an action figure that bends all sorts of ways, the CandyLand game, and lots of little cars and airplanes. He was in hog heaven and keeps asking me if we can get this or that for "his burst-day paw-ty yesterday night".


But all good things must come to an end and with all those little kids we never did make it fishing or camping that night. He didn't mind too much since he was bushed with all the excitement. He wouldn't take a nap that day although I tried to make him for almost an hour and half. Finally in frustration I told him to "Get up, now you're gonna have a yucky, yucky birthday party." He cried about that forever and kept telling me he didn't want a "yucky, yucky birthday party cause he wants a nice birthday party". Oh, the things we do to traumatize our kids. I think it actually turned out fine with no grumpy meltdowns so I had to eat my own words.

John kept the fun going the next morning by letting him drive the tractor. Driving tractors = pure heaven for little boys. Every time we happen to go behind the office where the tractors are parked he begs to go sit in them for "Juss a men-et, Mama". Even though he gives me the most endearing look I never give in cause I'm so mean.




They did a little demolition work and took out the mismatched, straggly boxwoods on the front steps. Thank goodness.


Lias did not appreciate the tractor or the demolition work.



Nathan cranked and cranked on that wheel while John did the real work on the backhoe. I think someday soon John's gonna have a real surprise when Nathan figures out how to actually move this thing while he's pulling and pushing on all the levers.



Yep, I think a 3 yr old is definitely big enough to start learning to work around here. Just as long as we let him take a little time off here and there for things like naps and riding bikes and giving his Mama hugs and kisses.


--HAPPY BIRTHDAY BIG BOY--

4 comments:

  1. Lynnie you are BRAVE having a party like that! Can I contract you out when I have kids- you can come deal with the craziness of "burst-day paw-tys!" haha Sounds like it was a very successful day. Those baby goats are too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey--can I drive the tractor when I come? No seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  3. love the way you type the way he talks! ANd I want a goat at my party, how cool is that! You are such a cool Mum Lynnie, even if you are mean sometimes (im meaner)! I say stoopid things to Hattie sometimes and have to eat my words too!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I wished we lived close by!!!
    What a fun b-day! That is a perfect little boy b-day! Jack would of been in heaven! And the backhoe and tractor...oh my!!! My neighbors had a mini digger in their yard the other day! Oh the excitement!
    We should have a good therapeutic conversation! My kids drove me crazy today! And this is only the first week out of school! Can I come visit you and loose my kids for hours on the farm???

    ReplyDelete