Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Toddler Minds

Pop quiz for mothers of toddlers:

Question: Please explain the difference between jumping and bouncing in words a two year old can understand.

Answer: You can never win a fight against a 2 yr old.

So yesterday I was trying to read my book during nap time, when Nathan, who decided he was "all done sleep" joined me on my bed. He kept jumping up and down, even though I've told him 100 times that he can't jump on my bed cause it messes it up but he's free to jump on his own if he likes. He looks at me as if I'm the dumbest person alive and said

" I not jump-ting Mama, I bouncing"

and then he gave a huge jump. Oh, of course Nathan and that makes it all ok.

And today at the park as I was explaining to him that we had to go he kept giving me this line

"Look, Mama. I haffa go ride my helicocer."

He's way into airplanes and helicopters right now so the jungle gym was his "heli cocer" and he just couldn't understand why I would want to leave it. Since when does a 2 yr old tell his mom "Look, Mama"??

One more Nathan-ism. Today John went to pick up Ava from a friends and he asked Nathan if he wanted to go. Nathan said no, he "haffa stay and ride he's motor cycle (tricycle)" so John left. Nathan screamed for over 30 minutes, inconsolable that he'd been left. I though about video taping it to show what we put up with over here but I'm not that good of a blogger yet. Are all 2 yr olds so indecisive and then mad about their decisions? This is a daily occurance for us.

5 comments:

  1. Hey, it's your cousin Carly. I found your blog from Merianne. It's so good to get caught up on your life.
    Your last story made me laugh because, yes, my 2 year old has the same issues. I ask her to make a decision and then she freaks out when I do what she asks. Some days are worse than others and I've noticed that being tired definitely makes it worse.
    We might be coming to DC in December for a conference my husband has to attend. I would love to see you and your family. I'll let you know when we decide. Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've only had one two-year-old so far (James is only 1.5 yrs.) so I can't be really sure, but I think it's more of a personality thing. Kate did stuff like that, and heck, she STILL does it daily, and she's four. She drives us nuts sometimes (bless her little heart).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Know you are not alone. Today Connor had a complete tantrum/meltdown because I gave him ravoli (one of his very favorite foods) for lunch. He screamed for 10 minutes like I was trying to poison him until I finally offered him a peanut butter & jelly sandwich, and then he was completely happy like nothing had even happened. I think 2 year-olds are part of some sort of secret government psychological testing. I'm failing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, why do they have to grow up!
    My baby (18 months) throws little fits and always ends up hitting his head on the floor. I am trying so hard not to laugh! To bad he'll talking soon!
    You kids are so cute!
    Jenny G.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hattie just keeps getting more and more difficult and crazy. Drives me bonkers!

    ReplyDelete